5/20/09

My "Garden" :)

Ok, so i don't have much of a garden... but I have A plant right now. :) And I have to say that I'm pretty proud of that plant. I went to a little plant nursery thing at the beginning of last week, and I picked up a tiny early girl tomato plant, a packet of green onion seeds, 2 pots/planter things, and a big bag of potting soil. I have to say that I have absolutely NO idea what i'm doing when it comes to gardening. I'm making it all up as I go. So it took me about 1 or 2 days to get the plant into it's new pot. These aren't actually pictures I took... sadly I didn't take a picture of it up front... so I'm hoping these will give you SOME kind of idea here. My plant looked very similar to this :

Lovely, aren't they! :) So, now it's been about 6 days since I put the thing in my pot, and BLAMO! That sucker shot up, and looks very similar to this picture!

It's even in a pot that looks like that! Anyway, I'm just suprised at my amazing plant. :) Now we'll just see if it gives us very many tomatoes. My onions haven't sprouted yet, but they aren't supposed to for another 4 or 5 days I guess. Fun times! :)

8 comments:

Tam said...

awesome Chels! I can't wait to have a yard so we can grow our own tomatoes too!

Sarah... said...

Woot Woot!! Nice goin' girl! They look great :) I'm trying to plant some too...but, I hear ya! I don't know what I'm doing either. Oh well...

Amberly said...

Good job Chelsea! Beau and I grew some tomato plants our second Summer together in some pots on our balcony. We forgot about pollination. If you don't have any flowers nearby, plant some! Otherwise you'll end up with big gorgeous tomato plants with lots of blossoms that never turn into tomatoes!

Chelsea said...

Oooh... thanks Amberly!! I would never have thought of that!

And I lied! Your onlions just started sprouting the day that I made this post!! Haha..

It's so funny how excited I get over these plants... they better work out! :)

Chelsea said...

Wow... that last comment was a mess. I meant that MY ONIONS are sprouting. wowie!

Mary Hamm said...

Awesome! Two recommendation:

Place a tomato cage on it now, if you haven't already, to support the ventual weight of the tomatoes.

Also, it may sound a little tricky, but that type of tomato plant works best if you limit how much it spreads out so it focuses on fruiting rather than just growing. You will notice that a few days after it grows a new branch - a new growth will apper right where the branch meets the main stem. This is called a sucker branch and it will creates a whole new main branch that will start growing all by itself. Use your fingers or scissors to pinch or cut this off.

Good luck!!

Mary Hamm said...

Man alive - As soon as your thoughts are published - I have to ask myself: Am I a horrible typist or a terrible speller? Either one is bad, but I hope for the former.

Chelsea said...

Thanks Mary! Yeah, the plant is growing like crazy, so I'll have to start doing that. I love any tips I can get!