Ethan's due date was set on March 13th. That was 8 days after our anniversary, and 8 days before Audrey's birthday. We'd been working for months to finish our basement, and hoped to get as far as we could on that before he was born. So we weren't hoping for an early delivery for that reason, however, I was definitely ready to not be pregnant anymore!
So March 1st was a Sunday, and we went to a baby blessing for our niece. I felt normal all day, we put Audrey to bed, and spent the evening hanging out as normal. I started having contractions a little before 9:00, which wasn't abnormal. I'd often get contractions in the evening, but then they'd go away after 10-20 mins. I mentioned to Kris that I hadn't packed a hospital bag yet and that I'd work on that tomorrow. Haha, little did I know, I'd need it much sooner! So I started timing the contractions a little after 9:00, joking that this could be it! But the timing was all over the place. I'd have them every 10 mins, then 6, then 8, then 12. Around 10:00 I texted my mom and Bethanie to tell them I was having contractions and to leave their phones on just in case, though I doubted anything would happen. We watched a show, and Kris went to sleep. Audrey woke up crying, so I went up to check on her, and at that point I was realizing that this could be the last time I really had alone with her before her baby brother showed up. So I was grateful to have that time and rocked her for awhile, while timing the contractions that were still all over the place. Afterwards I went and started packing my hospital bag. I woke Kris up around 1:00 and told him we better get ready to go, and texted Bethanie to find out how soon she could be at my house to watch Audrey. As soon as that text went out the contractions got very painful. We finished getting ready and Bethanie was there 20 mins later (thank you Bethanie!).
That was a very intense ride to the hospital. We got there just at about 2:15. When we got there it turns out I was dilated to 8cm. They said the on call doctor would be there shortly. It was too late for an epidural apparently, so they set me up with a Spinal. I didn't know the difference before then, but it kicked in almost immediately, and the nurse told me I had 2 hours to have the baby or I'd be feelin' it. But then she also told me that the baby was ready to come, so as soon as the doctor got there I'd be pushing, so that put my mind at ease a little bit.
Anyway, the doctor got there and basically had me push about 4 or 5 times, and that was that! I was in the hospital for a total of about 45 minutes before Ethan came at 3:03. He was 8lbs 12 oz and just over 20 inches long. They let me hold him for a few minutes and he just cuddled up and relaxed with me.
I was worried about Audrey and how she'd do when she woke up to find someone else in the house and no mom and dad. She's pretty bashful and clings to me when anyone else is around, so it worked out perfect that baby came and I was all situated before Audrey woke up. Kris went home to get her up and comfortable with my parents there and then came back and spent the day with Ethan and I at the hospital. We ended up leaving the hospital at 5 and made our way home where mom and dad were playing with Audrey. Ryan and Tamara's family and Jason also came over to welcome the baby.
Welcome to our family, Little Man!



0 comments:
Post a Comment